It was great to sit round the table with a diverse group of people debating whether or not it was time to tear up the foundations of an outmoded education system and rebuild to a new design for modern times.
We were joined by the New School Action Group who are calling for alternatives within state education. http://www.scotsman.com/news/education/parents-call-for-state-school-alternative-1-2968681
Interesting that 3 of our participants had been education in former communist regimes but still found our Scottish education system oppressive.
Some of the hotly debated issues were:
- personalisation and choice
- Poor leadership in schools
- No career progression for teachers - young, creative teachers are not heard
- Class sizes are too big, resources are limited
- Need more diversity to give real choice - free schools
- Stifled by exams
- What are the outcomes of our education system?
- Need an alternative to SQA
- Teachers should have more autonomy
- Academies in the state system
thanks to Ray Miller for facilitating the cafe. And to The Links Bar for providing an excellent venue.